Friday 17 February 2012

Good accounting practice

What's the etiquette here? I'm getting ready to go out to a meeting and running late. I'm dressed, but have decided to leave my trousers off until the last moment - that way I can't pick up any dog hair (a Jack Russell terrier, by the way).
I'm running around the house in my pants - rather nice ones as it happens - looking for my Blackberry when the land line rings. I pick it up expecting Significant Other, but it turns out to be my accountant...
I've switched accountancy firms recently and they're calling to ask if I'm satisfied with their service. I then have a 10 minute conversation about keeping the books with a man I've never met.
So, what's the etiquette? Working from home can be a bit of a problem when it comes to a dress code. One freelancing friend tells me she puts on a business suit (to feel 100 per cent professional) while another happily admits to slobbing around in a dressing gown until well after lunch.
I'm somewhere in the middle most of the time - jeans, T-shirt, trainers. Though I may now experiment with making the working day more interesting by adding a little nudity now and then.

1 comment:

  1. lol, that's so funny! :D and how little your accountant knew...

    Re dress code for working from home, I'd personally say wear whatever you're most comfortable in - that is, whatever achieves the best balance between comfort and 'feeling professional'. Which will necessarily vary a bit from person to person, and from time to time. Me, I don't feel right if I'm not in a pleated gym skirt and long socks. (Not really!)

    ReplyDelete